Today’s most successful companies view mergers and acquisitions as synchronized components of carefully envisioned growth strategies. Such a focus requires legal capabilities that are flexible, broad-based and capable of optimizing capital and speed.
Lowenstein Sandler’s Mergers & Acquisitions practice represents major corporations and private equity sponsors as they plan and execute a range of strategic acquisitions and dispositions. Our attorneys also guide young, entrepreneurial companies through cutting-edge deals, from formation and funding to IPO and ultimate sale. We also often work with non-U.S.-based law firms in significant cross-border M&A transactions.
The flexibility of our practice flows from a firm culture that is creative, proactive and passionate about serving clients. Like our clients, we take the long view, striving to build collaborative, long-term relationships based on a shared understanding of clients' business goals.
Chambers USA recently commented that we are: “Able to handle transactions and mergers in all industries and has an especially strong financial services track record. Extensive work on complex venture capital, private equity, hedge funds and banking work.” Clients were quoted as saying to Chambers that we are: "A corporate powerhouse with great depth of practice" and "First-rate: a top firm."
Key members of our team accelerate clients’ strategic success through Lowenstein’s Transactions & Advisory Group (TAG). This collaborative unit offers clients an integrated legal solution for executing transactions and managing the related corporate governance and compliance issues.
Additionally, several of Lowenstein’s nationally recognized complementary practices help to sharpen our edge in M&A transactions:
When a client is pursuing an acquisition, we develop finely tuned documents that help to realize our client's expectations, probing inside the target’s business to alert clients to all the material exposure points. We also counsel clients on the most effective financing strategies to fund acquisitions.
- Our Tech Group brings a deep and nimble understanding of IP issues and complex venture-backed capital structures to tech and biotech M&A transactions.
- Our Life Sciences group brings decades of sector experience and strong scientific credentials to its work with life sciences companies, investors and investment banks in a range of complex matters.
- Our securities, tax, environmental and employee benefits practices assist small and large in-house legal teams with acquisition- and disposition-related issues.
- Our antitrust team provides counseling and completes necessary antitrust and competition filings for transactions, teaming with international counsel as needed.
- Our bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys also join us in representing clients in M&A acquisitions through, or as an alternative to, bankruptcy.
In a case of divestiture, we focus on ensuring deal certainty, reducing post-closing exposure and bringing innovative solutions to close on the most advantageous terms possible for our clients. Through in-depth analysis, strategic planning and assertive negotiation, we help clients divest of non-essential capabilities or unprofitable subsidiaries, leverage the resources and security offered by a larger company, or cash out of the business entirely.