Lowenstein's Zarema A. Jaramillo introduces opening keynote speaker Valerie Jarrett, former Senior Advisor to the Obama Administration, and Lynda A. Bennett and Mary J. Hildebrand are panel moderators at the Women, Influence & Power in Law conference.
October 4, 2018
9:15 a.m.: Opening Keynote: Fireside Chat | Staying Nimble, Taking Risks, and Empowering Women to Lead With Authenticity and Confidence
- Introduction of keynote speaker: Zarema A. Jaramillo, Partner, Lowenstein Sandler LLP
- Keynote speaker: Valerie Jarrett, former Senior Advisor, Obama Administration
Empathy, intuition, and collaboration are the qualities people are looking for in their leaders today. In this session, hear from our keynote speaker on how she has taken risks to breakthrough gender bias with confidence, authenticity, and effectiveness in her professional journey.
11 a.m.-12 p.m.: GDPR: Assessing Your Organizational Competence and Risk in a Data-Driven World
- Moderator: Mary J. Hildebrand, Partner; Founder and Chair, Privacy & Cybersecurity, Lowenstein Sandler LLP
- Li Reilly, Vice President & Deputy General Counsel, Fareportal
- Ilona Levine, Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy, Data Protection, Cybersecurity and Compliance, OVH US
- Jo Ann Lengua Davaris, Chief Privacy Officer, Mercer
The implementation of GDPR–and the potential for regulatory enforcement actions, private causes of action and legal challenges from various quarters–exemplifies the uncertainty that permeates the privacy and cybersecurity world. How can you manage your legal, compliance, and business risks to achieve the best outcome for your organization? This panel will discuss the practical implications of managing against the new organizational requirements, such as accountability measures, breach notification requirements, data subject rights, and processing system assessments.
October 5, 2018
10-11 a.m.: How to Evaluate Exposure to Personal Liability Arising from Recent Enforcement Actions Against Corporate Counsel
- Moderator: Lynda A. Bennett, Partner; Chair, Insurance Recovery Group, Lowenstein Sandler LLP
- Patricia Barbieri, Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary, Daiichi Sankyo, Inc.
- Lynn Feldman, EVP and General Counsel, Clear Channel Outdoor
- Shirin Saks, Assistant General Counsel, Litigation and Employment, Dun & Bradstreet
Corporate counsels are an organization's ethics watchdogs, yet they are often asked to give strategic business advice. This can put in-house lawyers in awkward positions, jeopardize attorney-client privilege, and potentially expose the company and its leaders to liability. This session will provide an ethical framework and best practices to help navigate this dual role, and focus on how to protect corporate counsel and other executives against potential liability risks through insurance coverage and other innovative risk management techniques.