Kathleen A. McGee addresses "Scope and Limits of Government Investigation of a Data Breach" as part of PLI's half-day program, "Government Investigations 2020: Investigations Arising from Data Breach and Privacy Concerns and Parallel Proceedings."
Electronic information pervades our society. Corporations and other organizations create, store, and utilize that information in all facets of business. Unfortunately, security can be breached and any breach can lead to investigations by various government agencies at the federal and State levels. Those investigations may lead to disputes about scope, variety and volume of electronic information to be produced.
This program will explore the role of electronic information through a hypothetical breach of a corporation’s information that leads to an investigation. It will focus on the “what, why and how” an investigation is conducted – from the viewpoint of the investigating agencies and of the corporate representatives charged with responding to the investigation. The program will then consider a hypothetical class action that parallels the investigation and how that parallel litigation interacts with the investigation.
Our faculty, which includes experienced regulators and attorneys, will address various aspects of government investigations and parallel proceedings with a focus on requests for and production of electronic information.
- Ronald J. Hedges, Senior Counsel, Dentons US LLP
- Kathleen A. McGee, Counsel, Lowenstein Sandler LLP
- Christine M. Ryall, CFTC
- Cynthia DeGabrielle, Dentons US LLP
- Patrick Butts, Director of Legal Operations and Information Governance, Hilltop Securities Inc.
- Julie Lewis, President, CEO, and Founder, Digital Mountain, Inc.
- Manfred J. Gabriel, Holland & Knight LLP
- Erich P. Schork, Barrow and Associates
- Hon. Lisa Margaret Smith, U.S. Magistrate Judge, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Dana M. Berman, Program Attorney, Practising Law Institute
This program takes place 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. It will be groupcast or webcast at various locations and held in person at the PLI New York Center, 1177 Avenue of the Americas, Second Floor, New York, NY; 800.260.4754.