Chair, Investment Management Group
Robert Minion is one of America's leading investment management lawyers. As the Chairman of Lowenstein Sandler's Investment Management Group, Robert regularly advises many of the world's leading funds and fund managers in all aspects of their business. He has organized and structured many of the largest hedge, private equity, multi-strategy, lending, distressed, debt and other funds, has completed substantial portfolio company merger, acquisition, disposition, financing and other transactions, and has created industry-leading Investment Advisers Act compliance programs.
Robert is recognized by virtually every "best of" legal publication, including Chambers Global, Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Best Lawyers in America, which named him the Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity "Lawyer of the Year," and The Legal 500, which describes Robert as "simply the best attorney in this area anywhere in the United States." Robert was named the 2015 “Deal Maker of the Year” and the 2016 “Investment Management Lawyer of the Year”.
For thirty years, Robert has been sought out by clients for his experienced, practical and seasoned legal advice.
- Represented a leading private equity fund in the sale of a life sciences portfolio company for $1.2 billion.
- Represented a leading private equity fund in the sale of six portfolio companies for aggregate sale proceeds in excess of $2.1 billion.
- Represented a $1 billion fund-of-funds manager in its sale to a leading global institutional asset manager.
- Represented a private equity fund in the acquisition of three portfolio companies with an aggregate acquisition value of approximately $600 million.
- Represented an industry-leading commercial loan fund in its $550 million loan portfolio acquisition.
- Represented a NYSE-listed company in four strategic asset acquisitions with an aggregate acquisition value in excess of $1.2 billion.
- Represented multiple private equity fund portfolio companies in their initial public offerings.
- Represented a leading hedge fund in the private sale of control positions in its non-United States public portfolio companies with transaction values in excess of $1.1 billion.
- Represented leading hedge funds in derivative transactions and agreements with notional values in excess of $2 trillion.
- Represented numerous boards of directors, independent committees and special committees in merger, acquisition and disposition transactions with values in excess of $10 billion.
Recent Fund Launches
Completed the structure, organization and launch of funds and other pooled investment vehicles with aggregate assets under management in excess of $10 billion, including the following:
- A loan origination and lending platform family of funds in the launch of 14 new funds with aggregate assets under management of $6 billion.
- A private equity fund with assets under management of $3 billion.
- A fund-of-funds with assets under management of $1.1 billion.
- A private equity fund with assets under management of $600 million.
- A distressed asset fund with assets under management of $800 million.
- A commercial mortgage-backed securities fund with assets under management of $400 million.
- Numerous bespoke funds-of-one for sovereign domestic and offshore entities and investors.
Regulatory and Compliance
- Represents numerous multi-billion dollar (and many other) fund managers in establishing leading Investment Advisers Act compliance programs and in Securities Exchange Commission regulatory examinations.
- Represents numerous fund managers in establishing trading programs and in Rule 10b-5 trading compliance, investigations and litigations.
- Represents numerous multi-billion dollar (and many other) funds in Section 13 and Section 16 reporting and in Section 16 litigation matters.