Elaine advises clients on a broad spectrum of legal issues relating to the establishment, structuring, and operation of U.S.-based and offshore investment vehicles, as well as joint ventures, managed accounts, and other alternative investment relationships. Her clients are leading U.S. and global investment managers, funds, and investors who value her experience, ingenuity, and counsel.
Working closely with hedge funds, private equity funds, venture funds, credit funds, funds of funds, and other pooled investment vehicles, Elaine advises on all aspects of operational needs, securities laws, and regulatory and compliance issues. She also represents private investors in fund and direct investments. Beyond her knowledge of fund formation, capital raising, and structuring, Elaine is experienced with seed and strategic investment negotiations, fund-related mergers and acquisitions, and secondary transactions.
Elaine has played a primary role in transactions involving structures and assets with values ranging from several million to several billion dollars. She has had substantial involvement in shareholder and partnership arrangements and in providing regulatory advice to investment advisors. Elaine often represents issuers and investors in equity and debt financings, shelf registrations, private investment in public equity deals, and other alternative financings. She has also advised clients on a number of corporate transactional matters (including technology spin-offs) and strategic alliances.
An authority on private funds and investments, Elaine is regularly invited to speak on the subject. She has been a guest speaker on venture capital law and shareholder relationships, and a committee co-chair for the National Venture Capital Association Model Legal Document Working Group.
- Super Lawyers (2013–2014) – Recognized as a "Rising Star."
- Speaker: “Investing in Private Equity/Venture Capital,” Endowment & Foundation Forum - Boston, MA, November 14, 2016
- Moderator: “Essential Elements for the Newly-Formed PE Firm: Leveraging Your Network,” PEI CFOs and COOs Forum - New York, NY, January 27-28, 2016
- Moderator: "Diving Into Alternatives: Will Institutions Go Deeper or Pull Up?” Women’s Alternative Investment Summit - New York, NY, November 5-6, 2015
- Moderator: “The Debt Story: Addressing Common Challenges When Investing in Debt Funds,” PEI CFOs and COOs Forum - New York, NY, January 21-22, 2015
- Moderator: “The View From the Top: What CIOs Want From Alternatives,” Women’s Alternative Investment Summit - New York, NY, November 6-7, 2014
Financial Industry Regulatory Reform Approved by Joint Congressional Conference Committee
Investment Management Client Alert, June 25, 2010
IRS Extends FBAR Filing Deadline for Certain Taxpayers to June 30, 2010
Investment Management and Business Tax Counseling & Structuring Client Alert, August 10, 2009
New Massachusetts Privacy Regulations Affect Companies Across the Country
Bloomberg Privacy & Information Reports, July 2009
Mary Hildebrand, CIPP/US/E,
Peter Greene and Elaine Hughes are quoted in FUNDfire on the economics of “funds of one” for managers and institutional investors.
September 27, 2013