- Contract disputes:
- Breach of contract actions
- Uniform Commercial Code issues
- Termination of franchises and distributorships
- Disputes between vendors and customers
- Real estate litigation
- Business divorce
- Business torts:
- Fraud actions
- Unfair competition claims
- Theft of trade secrets or proprietary information
- Enforcement of restrictive covenants
- Business interference claims
- Creditors’ rights:
- Contract issues
- Avoidance actions
- Defense of proceedings commenced by the SEC, FTC and other federal and state administrative agencies
- Intellectual property disputes:
- Patent infringement
- Trademark infringement
- Copyright infringement
- Domain name issues
- Licensing of intellectual property
- Breach of intellectual property licenses
Commercial disputes can be complicated, disrupt business relationships and eat up precious time better spent building a company’s business. When legal issues develop, the value and cost of litigation needs to be weighed against a potential settlement, the effort involved in protracted litigation and its toll on a business and its executives. Whichever path is chosen, the legal strategy should align with the company’s business goals.
At Lowenstein, our nationally recognized litigators are at their best when the issues are complex and the stakes are high, seamlessly blending exceptional analytical and mediation skills with client advocacy and courtroom savvy. We dive into our clients’ business operations and strategies to truly understand their individual nuances and needs. We deliberately assess litigation risks and rewards to determine whether settlement, alternative dispute resolution (such as mediation or arbitration) or litigation offers the best solution.
Lowenstein’s Commercial & Business Litigation lawyers have handled nearly every type of commercial dispute, from partnership rights to real estate matters to D&O liability. We have successfully represented clients at the negotiating table, before mediators and arbitrators and in the courtroom. Whichever path you choose, our team has the experience, knowledge and dedication to help you move past your legal matters and return to your primary business objectives.
Types of Clients
- Manufacturing companies
- Private equity firms
- Privately held corporations
- Emerging companies and start-ups
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Life sciences companies
- Telecommunications companies
- Food and beverage companies
- Hospitals and health care entities
- Public utilities
- Prevailed on behalf of an international manufacturing company in a 50-day AAA arbitration in which we alleged misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of contract and related claims. The arbitrator found for our client and awarded lost profits as damages as well as other relief.
- Prevailed on behalf of the creator of the “The Sopranos” in a jury trial against claims by a former municipal court judge, who asserted that he helped our client create the Emmy Award winning series.
- Won the dismissal of a multimillion dollar AAA arbitration claim brought against our client, a multinational company based in India, alleging breach of an oral modification to a development, supply and marketing agreement.
- Represented a leading manufacturer of land, air, sea and space navigation and guidance equipment in a breach of contract dispute with a primary subcontractee, an international communications and information technology company, regarding the design and construction, hardware and software for inertial navigation guidance systems test platforms. The matter had a primary contract valued in excess of $100 million and was settled on favorable terms for our client.